Sunday, December 7, 2008

Month Nine

Dear Luke,

This was an adventurous one! You had your first illness. You woke us up at 2:00 a.m. throwing up all over your bed and floor. You were sick like this off and on for seven days. I took five days off work to give you a medicine dropper of fluids every ten minutes to try to keep you hydrated. It didn't work. We had to take you to the pediatric ER to get an IV of fluids. I'm not sure who cried hardest. It was AWFUL. It did, however, do the trick. Within a few hours you were drinking your bottle again and that was such a relief. You were quite fussy for a few days. It took some time for you to get back to your smiling, silly self. It was so great to hear your squeals again and see you slapping your knees with a giant grin on your face! We all managed to get the bug. There was one day where we were all face down in different rooms for about twelve hours. It wasn't fun but we got through it together!

You had several Dr. visits this month. The only one that was fun though, was your wellness check-up. We discovered you are 30 inches and almost 23 pounds. You are in the 95th percentile for everything still. You are growing and changing like crazy. I was thrilled to see your weight back up because you looked so thin while you were sick.

You are now on the move! You are crawling. Yikes! Daddy and I watched you crawl for the first time the day before Thanksgiving. We were all on the floor and you made a B line for his play station. We were all grinning from ear to ear. We called everyone to tell them your accomplishment. You are still a little slow but you are DETERMINED. You get where you need to at your own pace. At times you will just wiggle on your belly to get what you need. Daddy and I were talking about what an independent guy you are. You will play in the floor for a long time with toys scattered around you. Those early days when you needed to be constantly on our shoulders are long gone.

You now play a mean game of peek-a-boo. You eat whole cheerios without making the alarming vomit face. You laugh your fool head off when you get your belly, thighs, or feet tickled. You giggle every time you get startled. You ABSOLUTELY LOVE crowds. You haven’t met a single person who scares you. You have zero stranger anxiety. We can pass you around like a sack of flour and you just grin. I think you are incredibly smart. When you don’t want to eat, I will try to make you giggle. You have learned how to giggle with your lips closed tightly together so I can’t possibly get a spoonful of chicken past your lips. Watching you laugh with your mouth shut is worth the frustration of trying to get you to eat.

I just realized today I don’t really have to burp you any longer. The thought of not burping you made me incredibly sad. Some may think that is crazy. It is a simple little task…but it is something that you no longer need from me. I guess that is the first of a list of things that will be incredibly long. Don’t worry. I’m sucking it up right now and already trying to get a grip on you needing me less and less. I promise not to embarrass you and ask you a million times where my little baby went. I will probably, at some point post a naked butt picture of you on here though. Sorry in advance.

Love you so much,
Mama and Daddy


Month one...







Month two...






Month three...




Month four...






Month five...





Month six...





Month seven...





Month eight...





Month nine...