Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Baby Who?

As soon as we found out we were going to have a baby, the name game was on! Matt is famous for coming up with unusual, comedic names. For example, I really loved the name Jack, but he would only go with Jack if we could have the middle name "Hammer". Matt was a big fan of the name Gus for a while. I never quite bought into Gus. (Sorry if your name is Gus or you love a Gus.)

I found that when you start telling people the potential names of your unborn child, all decency and courtesy goes flying out the window. I had people tell me that my child would probably grow up to pump gas for a living. (Sorry if you pump gas for a living or love someone who pumps gas.) I had many people tell me my names were too common. I also heard about every behavior disordered child in our disctrict that ever shared my child's potential name (one drawback from sharing with teachers).

So, I decided to stop talking. Matt and I agreed to keep the baby's name a secret until he arrives. As much as my mother believes this was to drive her to the point of insanity, it really wasn't. However, now I have found that the driving people insane part is just a perk. I have had so much fun keeping this a secret! I am starting to worry though. The more I use the name around Matt, the more I almost slip around others.

For now I will keep it under lock and key and my family will continue to call him "Baby Who" (Nano) and little "mister no name" (Memaw). Just a few more weeks and the cat will be out of the bag!