Saturday, February 23, 2008

Little Things

I was having a particularly bad day last week. I woke up and the only thought that was going through my mind was how much everything hurt. I slid on my stretchy pants, put a layer of make-up on my 11 month pregnant face, and took 100 baby steps on ice while holding my breath. When I finally slid into work, I strategically placed all of the pillows in my office chair, took one painful seat, and wondered where the strength was going to come from to perform for my kids.

I never dreamed I would get my second wind from a water squirting rubber duck. I heard my door open and was certain someone was there to ask me about a deadline, report or referral. Instead it was one of my students who has a hearing impairment. He uses both his voice and sign to communicate. He brought me my belated Valentine present. In case you aren't familiar with sign, the duck is saying "I love you" with his right hand (and not "I love rock-n-roll" like Matt insists). This student was most excited about the fact that I could randomly shoot others with water throughout the day. Not so sure how much firing I will do with this duck. I think instead it might just stay on my desk forever. It helps remind me why I am doing this. It is amazing how such a little thing can turn around my day.